Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Lake House: Love in Letters



http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2006_the_lake_house_001.html


While starting this blog about handwriting, it was only but serendipitous that The Lake House came on TV. 

If you’ve never seen it (my God why not?!), the film stars Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves who fall in love through a series of letters they exchanged through a common mailbox. The twist is that they are from different times: Sandra was in 2006 and Keanu was from two years before but by some cosmic design they are able to correspond and love develops without touching, not even seeing each other but merely though handwritten words.

Such a fascinating and heartwarming story. Aside from the lovely 
messages they send to each other, what was poignant for me was the element of time, the importance of waiting.

Waiting. If there’s a master’s degree for waiting, I’d probably have a PhD now. Yeah, there was a time when I failed, tried to hurry things up and almost got kicked out. But the great thing about that is I got a bonus: my son and having him made me realize that I could always start afresh. 

So here I am, 37 years old still waiting for true love. Love that could be weak and strong, be terrifying and mesmerizing, be consuming and fulfilling.  Oh yes, I’m a great believer and it’s what makes the waiting worthwhile. Meantime, I’ll keep on writing about love in letters. Who knows, they might finally end up in the right mailbox.




No comments:

Post a Comment